Chief Executive Officer
Gary Gates began his career at OPPD in September 1972. He joined the staff at Fort Calhoun Station two years later and held several positions in the nuclear organization, including reactor engineer, supervisor – Operations at Fort Calhoun Station and manager – Fort Calhoun Station.
In May 1989, Mr. Gates was named executive assistant to the president, and he was appointed division manager – Nuclear Operations in February 1990. He was promoted to vice president with responsibility for OPPD’s nuclear organization in November 1992. He became president and CEO in January 2004.
His local and industry board affiliations include:
- World Association of Nuclear Operators (WANO)
- Nuclear Energy Institute (NEI)
- Nuclear Electric Insurance Limited (NEIL)
- Institute of Nuclear Power Operations (INPO)
- Ak-Sar-Ben Foundation – Governor’s Council
- Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce
- Boy Scouts Mid America Council
- Mutual of Omaha
- Joslyn Art Museum
- Durham Museum
- Boys Town National Board of Trustees
- Creighton University
- Heritage Services
- Strategic Air Command Consultation Committee
- Nebraska Military Support Coalition
- Wings Over the Heartland
- College World Series
- Strategic Air & Space Museum
Mr. Gates has served as chair or honorary chair for several organizational events, including American Red Cross, 100 Black Men, Cox Classic, Essential Pregnancy Services, At Ease USA, Inclusive Communities, Air Force Week, Omaha Economic Summit, Urban League and Children’s Hospital. In addition, he and his wife were awarded Humanitarians of the Year in 2012.
Mr. Gates holds a bachelor’s degree in nuclear engineering from Iowa State University, a master’s degree in industrial engineering from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, and a master’s degree in business administration from Creighton University. He and his wife, Kathy, have three children.
To contact W. Gary Gates, please use our Contact Board Members and Senior Managers form or call 402-636-3200.
Back to Senior Managers page