Electricity travels in a path called a circuit. Your house is part of a circuit that begins at a power plant. When you flick a switch to turn on a light or start an appliance, you complete the circuit.
Electricity will not leave the circuit unless it can find an easier path to the ground. If you touch an energized wire or faulty appliance while you are grounded, the electricity will pass through you to the ground, causing a shock that can be fatal. Following a few simple safety rules can prevent injury:
Check outlets and extension cords to make sure they aren't overloaded.
Examine electrical cords to make sure they aren't frayed, damaged or placed under rugs or carpets.
Make sure that the proper wattage light bulbs are being used in light fixtures.
Keep all electrical products and cords away from water. Consider installing ground fault circuit interrupters on outlets near water. Never reach into water to get an appliance that has fallen in without first unplugging the appliance.
To avoid electric shock or damage to sensitive electronic equipment during a storm, unplug appliances before the storm hits, or install surge protection equipment.
Test smoke detectors periodically.
Put safety covers on all wall outlets.
Keep electrical cords out of reach and out of sight to avoid children or pets.
Fuses and Circuit Breakers
Never replace a fuse or circuit breaker with one that exceeds the amperage rating for a given circuit.
Avoid using several high-amperage appliances, such as microwaves, toasters, irons or other heat-producing appliances, on the same circuit.
Use power tools outdoors only in dry weather. Stand on dry surfaces and use only dry materials.
Tools should be properly grounded wherever you use them. Consider purchasing a ground fault circuit interrupter.
Be sure all cords and plugs are in good condition.
Mobile Web for Smart Phones
Now you can report your home or streetlight outage easier on your smart phone. Also view outage map, Storm & Outage Info, and OPPDcares tweets. To access OPPD Mobile Web, type oppd.com in your smart phone’s web browser.