Energy Assistance Program
OPPD's Energy Assistance Program (EAP) was established in 1988 to help disadvantaged families pay energy-related expenses. Such expenses might include higher-than-normal summer cooling bills or emergency equipment repairs. The program is administered by the American Red Cross Heartland Chapter, which screens applicants and distributes the funds. The program operates year round.
Help Others, Support the EAP
Funds for the EAP come from OPPD customer donations, advertising revenue from OPPD's monthly customer newsletter, Outlets, and OPPD employees. During 2011, EAP assisted over 1,200 households with $264,907.
There are many ways you can help:
- Call 402-536-4131 or toll-free at 1-877-536-4131 to donate by phone.
- Make a pledge or donation on your OPPD bill statement by marking the appropriate box and adding the contribution to your payment.
- Send your donation directly to the American Red Cross Heartland Chapter at 2912 South 80 Avenue, Omaha, NE 68124.
To make a contribution to a specific customer's account, you can use an OPPD gift certificate, which is available at any OPPD customer service office or by calling 402-536-4131 or 1-877-536-4131 toll-free.
Get Help from the EAP
For information about applying for financial assistance, please call the Red Cross at 402-343-7755. Callers outside the metropolitan area may call toll-free at 1-888-890-9569. Spanish-speaking customers may call 402-343-7711 to schedule an appointment.
The State of Nebraska has low-income home energy assistance funds available to income-qualified customers. Applications can be made online or at the following metropolitan locations:
- Downtown – 1313 Farnam Street, 2nd floor
- Midtown – 1215 S 42nd Street
- North – 3737 Lake Street
- South – 5211 S 31st Street
- Papillion – 1261 Golden Gate Drive
To help you lower your energy bills, please read OPPD's tips for using electricity wisely and seasonal energy-saving tips. Also, visit Re-Energize Program for help with home energy upgrades.