Board Policy Workshop
Board workshop held Thursday, Aug. 29, 2019
The Omaha Public Power District Board of Directors held a workshop regarding board governance and OPPD’s strategic directives on Thursday, Aug. 29, from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the University of Nebraska at Omaha Barbara Weitz Community Engagement Center, 6400 University Drive in Omaha, Room 231.
An outside facilitator lead the workshop. No board actions were taken.
The morning session, from 8 a.m. to 12 noon, was open for the public to observe, but public comments were not taken. There are opportunities for public comment during regular board meetings each month at OPPD's Energy Plaza headquarters in downtown Omaha.
Hearing-impaired individuals planning to attend this workshop may request an interpreter by emailing the senior corporate governance specialist at firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (531) 226-3208 a minimum of 72 hours prior to the scheduled date.
The afternoon portion was a private session for board members to discuss the habits of high-performing boards.
Morning session: open to public
Introduction: 8 - 8:15 a.m.
- Welcome and overview of workshop goals (McGuire, Cavanaugh, Burke)
Board governance overview: 8:15 - 9:15 a.m.
- Discuss and share reflections on current state of OPPD board governance (Facilitator: Eric Douglas, Leading Resources Inc.)
Break: 9:15 - 9:30 a.m.
Discussion of Strategic Directive (SD) policies: 9:30 a.m. - 12 p.m.
- Review key SDs on which board members wish to focus (Facilitator: Douglas)
- Build consensus on policy areas on which to work over the next 3-6 months (Facilitator: Douglas)
Next steps: 12 - 12:15 p.m.
- Recap next steps (Facilitator: Douglas)
Break for lunch: 12:15 - 1 p.m.
Afternoon session: closed to public
Introduction: 1 - 1:15 p.m.
- Welcome and overview of workshop goals (Facilitator: Douglas)
- Quick review of operating principles / ground rules (Facilitator: Douglas)
Discuss habits of high-performing boards: 1:15 - 2:30 p.m.
- Discuss behaviors of high-performing public boards (Facilitator: Douglas)
- What behaviors can undermine effectiveness? (Facilitator: Douglas)
Break: 2:30 - 2:45 p.m.
Review board expected behaviors: 2:45 - 4 p.m.
- What behaviors would board members like to see more of? Less of? (Facilitator: Douglas)
- How do we hold ourselves accountable? (Facilitator: Douglas)
Conclusion: 4 - 4:30 p.m.
- Recap (Facilitator: Douglas)
- Share reflections (Facilitator: Douglas)