Electric Usage Calculator
It’s important to think beyond the initial cost of appliances. Energy use over the years can be substantial, so it's important to invest in energy-efficient appliances.
Shown below are the electric appliances and lighting options found in the average home. You can determine a "monthly cost estimate" by entering a number in the "quantity" field.
- Once you enter a quantity, the monthly cost associated with operating that appliance will appear in the "monthly cost" field.
- The total cost for all appliances you enter will be shown at the bottom of the worksheet.
- All estimates are based on OPPD's current average kWh cost.
Please note that assumptions have been made for each appliance regarding frequency of use, and how much electricity the appliance uses (watts.)
- Assumptions are the most important variables when determining operating costs and enable you to compare your appliance usage patterns and lifestyle choices.
- Your exact usage will most likely vary from the estimates shown, but the list is still useful in helping you identify which appliances have the greatest effect on your electric bill.
These Managing Energy Use tips can help you decrease the numbers above.
These estimates are based on typical usage patterns for appliances and OPPD’s average annual kWh cost. Your actual operating costs may be higher or lower than those shown, depending on your usage patterns and lifestyle.
The assumptions made for these appliance operating costs include hours of operation, appliances watt values and how long they run from one day to the next. If you are interested in that additional detail, refer to the link below for more information.
• Details on appliance usage cost calculations
Estimates do not include electric use for your home’s heating and cooling needs.
• Details on heating and cooling energy use