Smart Thermostat Program
Smart energy savings with maximum reward
The OPPD Smart Thermostat Program is the latest way to save energy and money. Here’s how it works:
- OPPD manages your AC through your Nest Learning Thermostat
- After a precooling period of an hour, your Nest adjusts the set temperature up an additional 1 to 3 degrees. Nest is a savvy thermostat management tool that ensures room temperature is at the homeowner’s desired setting when they arrive home.
- Sign up and get a one-time $100 bill credit and additional $20 bill credit every year you participate. ($120 in bill credits the first year)
To be eligible to participate in OPPD's Thermostat Program, you must:
- Be an OPPD residential service account-holder
- Have a working central air conditioner, heat pump or geothermal system
- Have an operable Wi-Fi thermostat
- Have a wireless network at your residence
- Have an active account with the thermostat manufacturer and have the thermostat linked to that account
- Not be already enrolled in Cool Smart. Email customer service or call 402-536-4131 to cancel enrollment in Cool Smart prior to enrolling in the Thermostat Program.
- Agree to terms and conditions
Thermostat Manufacturer Partners
OPPD is evaluating additional thermostat manufacturers for future partnerships.
Nest Rush Hour Rewards
- On days when demand for electricity is high, OPPD and Nest will manage your air conditioning through the thermostat.
- The Nest thermostat can help lower energy during peak usage times by precooling your home for one hour, and adjusting the temperature up to three degrees during the Rush Hour event. This will not cause additional wear and tear on your cooling system.
- Normal Rush Hour events are scheduled two hours prior to the start time. Customers are notified of an event via the Nest app and thermostat display. OPPD reserves the right to schedule critical Rush Hour events in an emergency. Customers are notified 10 minutes prior to starting.
- Rush Hours take place from May through October, between 12 p.m. and 9 p.m. OPPD may initiate up to 15 events per summer, with a maximum of three events per calendar week (one per day).
- Rush Hour events will never take place on holidays or weekends.
- You're in control. If you are home, Nest will try to keep you comfortable. But if it gets too warm, you can adjust the temperature at any time.
Find more information about Nest Rush Hour Rewards.
Many answers to questions regarding OPPD's thermostat program may be found in the FAQs, or you may email customer service or call 402-536-4131.